|Deadline: May 30, 2019||Institution(s): OWSD|
|Level of Study: Ph.D||Study in: Africa|
OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships for Women in Developing Countries
OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships is offered to women scientists from Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) to pursue PhD research in the Natural, Engineering and Information Technology sciences. The program is managed with funding generously supplied by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and is offered throughout the developing world in collaboration with guest organizations. The overall objective of the grant program is to add to the creation of a fresh class of females rulers in physics and technology and to encourage their efficient involvement in their country’s scientific and technological growth.
Candidates can choose between two study schemes:
- a full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding), where the research is undertaken entirely at a host institute in another developing country in the South.
- a sandwich fellowship, where the candidate must be a registered Ph.D. student in her home country and undertakes part of her studies at a host institute in another developing country.
The sandwich fellowship is awarded for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 3 research visits at the host institute. The minimum duration of the first visit is 6 months. The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months. The funding period cannot exceed 4 years.
OWSD particularly encourages candidates to consider the sandwich option, which allows them to earn the Ph.D. in their home country while accessing specialist researchers and equipment abroad, at the host institute.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- a full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding)
- a sandwich fellowship The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months.
The fellowship support is only provided while the student is on site, at the host institute.
The OWSD fellowship covers:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country.
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship.
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period.
- Visa expenses.
- Annual medical insurance contribution.
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis.
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute.
The OWSD fellowship does not cover:
- Bench fees and consumables.
- Support for language training, either before or during the fellowship program.
- Support for shipment of research samples.
- Costs for personal computer or software purchase.
- Support for family members.
- Additional return tickets to the home country for personal reasons.
To be eligible for OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships, applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Required Languages: English
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries
- The minimum qualification is an MSc degree in one of the above listed study fields.
- Host institutes must be located in a developing country in the South (not the candidate’s home country).
- Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after completion of the fellowship
How to Apply for OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships?
Please visit official website link given at the end. Here are some necessary steps to avail OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships:
- Start an application form at the online portal.
- Make sure to upload the required documents listed below:
- Ph.D. research proposal outline.
- Degree certificates and transcripts.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Preliminary acceptance letter from at least one host institution.
- Letter of commitment from the host university.
- 2 Reference letters.
- Candidates must submit a scanned copy of the passport page, which contains personal details (photo, document number etc.).
- Candidates applying for a SANDWICH study scheme must, in addition, submit also the following documents:
- Registration and No objection certificate.
- Supporting statement from home supervisor.
To know more about OWSD Ph.D. Fellowships for Women in Developing Countries, please visit official website: