|Deadline: May 27, 2019||Institution(s): –|
|Level of Study: Fellowship||Study in: Arab Region|
Early Career Fellows Program | Cycle 6 (2019-2020)
Early Career Fellows Program for the Social Sciences is open for international students to purse their educational experience in courses offered. This 12-month fellowship program seeks to enable early career scientists to pursue their research and publication plans, become part of Arab study networks, and plan a study career in the Arab region for up to three years out of the PhD. This initiative complements the ACSS ‘ attempts to support and promote the Arab region’s social sciences, especially in terms of investing in a fresh generation of scientists in social sciences.
- political science
- media and cultural studies
Early Career Fellows Program provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- The fellowships will provide 12 months of full support (living expenses plus research expenses) with a total stipend ranging between $20,000 and $36,000. The total amount depends on the respective price levels in the proposed country/countries where the fellow will be residing during his/her fellowship as well as whether or not the fellow will have other sources of income during the fellowship period. If shortlisted, applicants will be asked to provide a budget estimating (1) the costs of living, (2) the costs of research; and (3) indicate whether or not they will have any other sources of funding and/or income during the period of the fellowship.
- Accepted applicants are expected to provide a well-thought financial plan before signing the contract.
- Travel funding at an average of $900 for each fellow will also be provided for those seeking affiliation with an institution outside their home country or country of residence.
- The fellow will be expected to attend and present their research at two events (i.e. workshops, research forum and/or conference) organized by the ACSS during the term of the fellowship. Expenses of participation in such events will be covered separately by the ACSS.
- Each fellow will be requested to contribute an abstract concerning their project for the ACSS website.
- Each fellow will be requested to write one working paper in Arabic to appear as a prepublication in the ACSS Working Paper Series.
To qualify for Early Career Fellows Program, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Languages: English and Arabic
- Eligible Countries: All World Countries
- Are citizens or nationals of an Arab country not in a tenure-track position and/or do not have access to research resources from their institution and/or country of residence.
- Are junior scholars: This program targets scholars who are 0-3 years out of a PhD program in the social sciences (obtained from within or outside the Arab region)
- Show high quality academic credentials and promise: Applicants are expected to submit a proposal (10-15 pages) that builds on their PhD dissertation.
- Provide proof of support by a proposed mentor and institution: Applicants should provide a letter at the time of application from an academic mentor based in an institution in the Arab region in which he/she expresses willingness to provide administrative and academic support and supervision to the prospective fellow during the period of his/her fellowship.
How to Apply for Early Career Fellows Program?
- Applicants are required to create an account and a Profile Page on the ACSS Applications Platform, then apply to the fellowship using the online application form for the Early Career Fellows Program, and provide the following supporting documents:
- A detailed CV.
- A one-page cover letter.
- A proof of nationality or residence in the Arab region.
- A project proposal (10-15 pages): detailing the activities that the fellow intends to undertake during the fellowship period. Please note that all submitted proposals will be checked on a plagiarism detection software.
- A letter from a mentor based in an academic institution in the region, who expresses his/her willingness to supervise and mentor the applicant during his/her proposed fellowship period.
- A detailed CV of the proposed mentor.
- An official letter from a hosting institution addressed to the Arab Council for the Social Sciences expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship.
To know more about Early Career Fellows Program, please visit official website: